This post is also available in: Italiano
The foundation of the company dates back to August 18, 1921 by Alfredo Focesi, a great enthusiast for cycling races, Francesco Galmozzi (who later founded the homonymous company) and Artemisia Gerbi, wife of Focesi and sister of the racer Giovanni Gerbi. The full corporate name “A.M.F. Gloria” came from the contraction of the words “Alfredo Focesi of Milan, GLORIA bicycles”.
In 1922, Gloria’s production, oriented on racing bikes, obtained quickly the success thanks to the victory of the world championship. In 1927, Gloria moved its production site to Milan in a building in boulevard Abruzzi, while opening in the avenue Buenos Aires a sports and cycling shop.
In 1954 the company had become a joint stock company with the name “Commerciale Gloria spa”, but the choices related to the expansion of the business did not prove to be happy and on 21 February 1955 the Milan court declared the bankruptcy of the company.
The bike presented has been conservatively restored. Hubs, 48T crankset, steel handlebar with integrated stem and headset are all marked GLORIA. It is equipped whit Balilla iron brakes and Brooks seat. The rear derailleur is a Simplex Super Champion.